Maximum Living Perfect Pecan Pie
Pecan Pie is a holiday favorite sure to bring a smile to everyone's face.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups corn syrup (I use 1/2 dark and 1/2 light)
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups pecans, coarsely broken
- 2 unbaked deep dish pie shell
- 1 deep dish pie shell
- In saucepan boil sugar and corn syrup together for 2 to 3 minutes, then set aside to cool slightly. As the mixture is cooling add butter and gently stir until completely melted.
- In large bowl beat eggs lightly and very slowly pour the syrup mixture into the eggs, stirring constantly.
- At this point I like to strain the mixture to make sure it's smooth and lump free.
- Stir in, vanilla, and pecans and pour into crust.
- Bake in a 350°F oven for about 45 to 60 minutes or until set.
Roll out remaining pastry to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut out leaf shapes, using 1-in.- to 1-1/2-in. cookie cutters. With a sharp knife, score pastry to create leaf veins. Brush bottom of each leaf with water. Place one or two layers of leaves around the edge of crust; press lightly to secure. Cover edges with foil to protect edges from over browning. You can also use this technique with other cookie cutter designs such as Turkeys, hearts acorns and apples. Vary them for the occasion or season you are celebrating.
Optional: Vanilla Rum Whipped Cream
1 cup cream will make about 2 cups whipped cream
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 2 tablespoons Confectioner's Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 teaspoon Rum Extract
- In a freezer chilled mixing bowl beat 1 cup heavy cream until soft peaks start to form, for best results make sure cream is very cold
- Add 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar and flavoring at this time and continue mixing until cream is gently stiff with soft peaks
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract, 1 tsp. rum extract (flavor to taste)
- Serve a dollop onto each cut piece of pie and gently sprinkle with nutmeg