Maximum Living Sorrento Limoncello
Plan ahead for the holidays with the Maximum Living Limoncello recipe. Great for holiday gatherings or homemade gifts for friends and family. But don't wait to the last minute! This recipe requires two months to complete.
- 15 Lemons (medium size)
- 6 1/2 cups Everclear 151 proof or 190 proof where available
- 6 1/2 cups water
- 5 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large glass containers with lids
- 1 wooden spoon
- cheese cloth
- 1 potato peeler
- 1 funnel
- 1 ladle
- Glass bottles for bottling
*Time to make: 2 months
- Wash lemons and peel, be very careful to only get the yellow peel and not the white pith under the skin. Place peels into large glass jar and add 6 1/2 cups of Everclear grain alcohol. Gently stir peels making sure all are submerged and covered in the alcohol. Put lid on jar and place in a cool area without sunlight. Let rest for 2 weeks, then gently stir once and replace lid, let rest for 2 more weeks.
- At 4 weeks put 6 1/2 cups water in sauce pan and heat but do not boil adding in 5 1/2 cups granulated sugar and stir until completely dissolved, let cool then pour cooled solution into your jar of lemon peels and alcohol.. Gently stir twice, again making sure all peels are covered. Put lid back on jar and let rest for 2 weeks, then gently stir once and replace lid, let rest for 2 more weeks.
- Put water moistened cheese cloth over the opening of your second glass jar and slowly pour your mixture through the cloth into the jar straining out all sediment. Now you are ready to bottle. Use your ladle and funnel for bottling which will help to avoid overflow and spilling. Once your Limoncello is bottled place bottles into the freezer for storage.
Cheers To You!