Maximum Living Shrimp Risotto
This shrimp risotto recipe is delicious and hearty, and goes perfectly with a bottle of white wine.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 shallots, diced
- 3 garlic cloves crushed/minced
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pinch saffron
- 1 ½ cups Vialone Nano or Arborio risotto rice
- ½ cup white wine
- 12 raw deveined prawns peeled
- Sea salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- 3 ¾ cups fish stock ( I like to use Bar Harbor)
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Roughly chopped garnish
- tablespoons butter
- Fennel sprigs
- In a large pan, warm the fish stock on a medium heat.
- In another large, deep saucepan, add the olive oil, shallots, garlic, chili flakes and bay leaf.
- Cook on a low heat for about 5 minutes, then add rice and cook for 2-3 minutes until the rice is coated in oil and translucent.
- Add the wine and saffron along with 1 ladle of fish stock stirring it through.When the rice has absorbed the stock, add another ladle and continue until the rice is creamy. Beat the butter into the rice and add the prawns, then season with salt and pepper. Squeeze the lemon juice over the dish, plate into bowls or dishes and garnish with parsley and fennel sprigs.