Maximum Living Deep Fried Anchovies
This recipe was inspired by my recent trip to the Mediterranean. While walking down a cobblestone street along the waterfront, these little delicacies caught my eye in a restaurant window. Then I thought if I paired this with a persimmon salad and a glass of wine it just could be a perfect ending to a beautiful day!
- 1 lb. fresh anchovies (ask your fish monger to clean them for you and take off the heads) do not use the kind that are canned.
- 2 cups extra virgin olive oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1 ¾ cups flour
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Dash of salt
- Dash of pepper
- 2 Fresh large lemons cut into wedges
- Rinse your cleaned anchovies with clean cool water, pat dry on paper towels then lay on a plate.
- Pour olive oil into a deep saucepan at least ½” to ¾”
- Warm oil to a deep fry thermometer temperature of 350 degrees F
- Add whole eggs to a small bowl and thoroughly mix.
- In a separate bowl add flour, minced garlic, cayenne pepper, dash of salt, dash of pepper. Blend thoroughly with a fork
- With fingers dip anchovies into egg then directly into flour mixture, making sure to completely cover. Lay on a separate plate, once finished take tongs and gently put the anchovies a few at a time into the oil. Turn them over onto the other side at about 3 minutes to cook both sides for a total cooking time of about 8 minutes. Make sure they are evenly cooked.
- Take out and put on a paper towel covered plate, gently pat with paper towel to remove any excess oil and serve hot with fresh lemon wedges!
Enjoy a taste of the Mediterranean!
You can do it!
When the oil reaches 365 degrees (F) fry the fish a few at a time, rolling them around in the oil to assure even cooking until they are golden brown (about 5-8 minutes). Serve with crusty bread, extra-virgin olive oil for dipping the bread (optional) and tomatoes.