Maximum Living Campania Eggplant Stack
Fresh ingredients and rich flavors are what make Italian food so appealing. This recipe brings together some of the staples of Italian cuisine in a way that will have you saying "Delizioso!"
Makes 6 towers
- Aubergine eggplant cut into 12 single 1/3 inch slices
- 3 large ripe tomatoes
- 12 fresh basil leaves
- 6 thin slices of mozzarella
- Spice mixture: 3 pinches salt, 6 turns pepper, 3 teaspoons finely chopped oregano, 3 teaspoons finely chopped thyme
- extra virgin olive oil
- aged balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 200 F
- Brush eggplant with olive oil on both sides and grill both sides for several minutes until tender.
- Cover a cookie sheet with non-stick baking paper, loosely arranging 6 eggplant slices.
- Gently dust eggplant with half of spice mixture. Next slice each tomato into 4 even slices, placing one slice on top of each eggplant. Add one basil leaf to each tomato slice and sprinkle again with half of remaining spice mixture. Add remaining eggplant, then tomato to each stack again sprinkle with remaining spice mixture. Top each tower with one slice of mozzarella cheese and basil leaf.
- Place toothpick in the center through the tower then gently drizzle aged balsamic and olive oil over tower. Place in oven until tomatoes are warm and mozzarella is melted.