Maximum Living Paella
Our take on the classic seafood dish from Spain's Mediterranean coast, Maximum Living's Paella features a robust flavor profile including peppers, fresh seafood and saffron for a hearty and savory main course.
- 2 cups Bob's Red Mill Arborio Rice
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 quart Pacific Foods Chicken Broth
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 orange bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 lbs Foster Farms chicken tenders (sliced)
- 3/4 lb fresh chorizo sausage, sliced
- 1 lb large cleaned shrimp, (21-25 shrimp)
- 16 mussels, cleaned
- 16 clams, cleaned
- 2 lemons, zested
- Fresh ground pepper
- 1/4 cup Italian parsley, chopped
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 2 lemons, wedged into quarters
- Crusty garlic bread
- Combine shrimp with 2 tbsp olive oil, 1/2 of minced garlic, dash of salt and pepper. Toss to coat & marinate for 30 min.
Preheat a paella pan or very wide shallow cast iron pan over medium-high heat. Add 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, 1/2 of the minced garlic, red pepper flakes and rice. Stir together while sauting for 3 minutes. Add saffron threads, bay leaf, chicken broth and thyme. Gently stir while bring liquids to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to a slow simmer and cover pan with lid or foil. Continue the slow simmer for 15 minutes.
While the rice mixture is simmering, preheat a separate non-stick skillet to medium heat. Add chorizo to the pan and saute until browned, then remove chorizo and set aside in a dish. To the same pan, add 1 tbsp of olive oil, brown slices of chicken breast on both sides, season with salt and pepper, set aside with chorizo. Then add peppers and onions to the pan and saute for 3 minutes, set aside with cooked chorizo and chicken.
After the rice mixture has simmered for 15 minutes, remove the bay leaf and thyme sprigs. Stir in the pre-cooked chirizo, chicken, onions and peppers. Distribute the shrimp across the surface of the paella, then nest the mussels and clams in the rice, hinge side down. Sprinkle lemon zest over the rice and shellfish, cover the pan and continue to simmer for a minumum of 5 minutes until mussels and clams have opened. Remove the cover or foil from the pan. Discard any mussels or clams that have unopened shells.
Top with chopped parsley and chopped scallions.
Recommended wine pairing based on the citrus flavor compounds: Chateau Ste. Michelle - Sauvignon Blanc from the Horse Heaven Hills