Maximum Living Apple Galette
The Maximum Living Apple Galette is a fun dessert dish for a party, as it can be eaten like a pizza. It is perfect for those fall weekends when apples are in season and everyone has that craving for a warm, baked apple dessert.
- 2 Sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 large egg, beaten with 1 teaspoon of water (this is the “eggwash”)
- 1 1/2 pounds Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, cut into 1/8-inch-thick slices
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons sugar and a little extra for sprinkling on crust
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon peel
- ½ cup peach preserves
- Whole milk
- Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
- Unfold and gently kneed two thawed puff pastry sheets into a ball, flour a sheet of parchment paper, place pastry on sheet and place another parchment paper sheet on top. Roll out dough between sheets of parchment paper to approximately 1/8-inch-thick round, 15 inches in diameter. Remove top sheet of parchment paper and trim any excess pastry off with a knife. Using bottom sheet as aid, transfer dough on parchment to large unrimmed baking sheet. Chill 15 minutes.
- Position rack in oven to upper third and preheat to 375°F. Combine apple slices, 2 tablespoons sugar, ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon and 1 teaspoon of grated lemon peel in medium bowl; toss to blend. In large nonstick skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat, add apples and sprinkle any excess sugar blend from bowl into skillet. Cook apples until golden, about 6-8 minutes. Spread onto a baking sheet and refrigerate for 15 minutes
- Spread peach preserves over crust, leaving 1 1/2-inch plain border. Arrange apples in concentric circles atop preserves, overlapping slightly. Casually fold plain crust border up over apples, pinching any cracks in crust. Brush crust with milk. Sprinkle crust edges and apples with light dusting of sugar to finish.
- Bake Galette until golden, about 35 minutes. Remove from oven. Slide long thin knife between parchment and Galette. Let stand at least 10 minutes.
- Cut into slices and serve warm or at room temperature. And don’t forget to add a little vanilla bean ice cream to each serving to round out the flavor profile… OK, add it because it makes this dessert irresistible!
You can do it!