Maximum Living Sea Scallops with Cilantro-Citrus Garlic Butter
The arrival of summer means it’s time for the beach, and some of my favorite memories are of those late summer days when cooking at the beach meant great food and great conversations with family and friends. When the cilantro-lime scallops showed up, we all knew the best was yet to come! We are excited to share this recipe with you so that you can create these memories with your own friends and family as well!
- 25 bay scallops in the shell
- 3 scallions finely chopped
- ½ cup softened unsalted butter
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp. lime zest
- 1 tsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 pinch Cayenne pepper
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves finely chopped
- 1 tsp minced garlic glove
- 1 head butter lettuce
- 3 turns black pepper
- 1 large bowl
- 1 medium bowl
- Fill a large bowl with ice, set aside.
- Under cool running water scrub scallops well and rinse. Gently open each scallop shell with a knife and cut away all the connective tissue that is holding onto the white scallop, gently rinse everything away except for the white scallop muscle itself. Now gently loosen the scallop from the shell, leaving it in the shell, then lay scallops in shell onto the ice in the bowl, repeat process.
- In a medium bowl stir together butter, lemon juice, lime zest, lime juice, salt, cayenne pepper, garlic, black pepper and scallions. Cover bowl with saran wrap and put in refrigerator to chill and set up to firm, should take about 20-30 minutes.
- Put scallops on a rimmed cookie sheet and set next to your grill. Turn grill on to 400 F. While the grill is heating up, remove the butter mixture from the refrigerator and place one teaspoon of butter mixture on top of each scallop. Place scallop onto the grill and grill for about 3 minutes. You know it is finished as soon as the butter starts to sizzle.
- Remove scallops from grill with your tongs and place on large serving platter. Sprinkle finely chopped cilantro leaves over scallops.
- These scallops can either be served to the table in shell or if you like you can remove them from the shell and place them on a large serving platter on top of butter head lettuce leaves with a couple of lemon wedges on the side.
- Don’t forget to pair your scallops with a great glass of your favorite white wine and always remember…
You can do it!